At McGinty Belcher & , Attorneys, we understand the fear and anxiety that comes along with the spread of the Coronavirus . We want to reassure you that whatever your current situation, McGinty Belcher & , Attorneys, continues to be available to assist you. Read more

My grandfather is becoming increasingly forgetful and is having difficulty paying his bills and taking care of himself. Should I be considering a guardianship or conservatorship for him?
Not necessarily. Guardianship or conservatorship is not needed in every case where a loved one requires financial management or personal care help. Oregon has strict standards that must be met in order to establish a guardianship or conservatorship. To determine if a guardianship or conservatorship is appropriate you should always contact an attorney. The attorney will review with you the standards that must be met to establish a guardianship or conservatorship and help you identify reasonable alternatives to a guardianship or conservatorship. You may discover that there are less restrictive alternatives for meeting your grandfather’s needs short of a legal guardianship or conservatorship.